My Grandma


My maternal Grandma died on the 27th of December.  There are no words to accurately describe her; she was funny, smart, quick, opinionated and sarcastic.  She was just awesome, but she could be difficult to deal with.  She was diagnosed with lung and spine cancer in early December and given about 6 months to live.  She moved in with my parents and my wonderful mother took care of her.  Changing diapers, clothes, sitting up with her all night while she was in pain.  My mom is an incredible woman.  My grandma refused chemo and after that her health crumbled very quickly.  My grandma was one of the most creative and talented people that I know. She made my wedding dress, she fought me on everything : ) but it came out beautiful. Whenever we talked she always asked me two questions: 'what are you making?' and 'what have you done exciting this week?'  I really admire her strong willed personality and her talent to make...anything!    
Luke and I took my mom out for a bit so that she could have a little break while my brother stayed home with my Grandma.  Logan checked on my Grandma and realized that she had passed away.  Poor guy.
She will be greatly missed, but I know that I will see her again.

pictures
 Top: left 'June 19th, 1938 Chicago. Daddy and his blonde', middle- her five children. My mom is the tiny little one in the back, right-I'm not sure when this was taken, but I love old pictures! 
Middle: left- probably about 1931 with her mom and dad, middle-this is my favorite one of my grandma in a clown outfit just being cute, left-baby grandma in 1931
Bottom: left-not sure when or why this was taken, middle-four of her children witting with the happiest Santa I have ever seen, my mom is the tiny little peanut sitting on his lap, right-my grandma as a cowgirl in 1938


January 12th,

Jill is awesome, we talk about the most random things.  Today we were talking about Heaven and life after death.  I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and I do believe that there is a Heaven and a lovely Heavenly Father.  My grandma did not have the easiest life by any means, she had to deal with a lot of hardships.  She was a really awesome woman, but there was also an underlying sadness/anger.  She didn't understand life the same way I do and I think she was really bitter toward things that had happened in the past and frustrated that she didn't understand life.  When I think of her she makes me smile; she is sharp, blunt, witty, sarcastic and she is not afraid to speak her mind. Death is hard, even if you have a belief that you will see your loved ones again.  I have a hard time thinking about her sometimes because I want her to be happy, and I don't know if I've ever seen her be truly happy so it is kind of hard to imagine her that way.  Well today as Jill and I were talking, an image popped into my head of my grandma.  An image of her being the same sarcastic, witty person, but also of her being happy and laughing.  I've seen her smile plenty of times, and I've heard her laugh; but I've never seen her look that happy.  I know that the Gospel is true, I know that I will see her again and I know that she is no longer in pain and she can now be completely happy.

Comments

Popular Posts