Get to Know Me...

It has come to my attention that maybe a lot of people who have known me for a while don't actually 'know' me very well.  So, I've decided to provide a little crash course in Aubrey 101.  I know I know, everyone was just begging me for this post...
I will start off by saying that my being quite does not mean that I am upset, or angry, or don't have anything to say.  I have A LOT to say!  I am just a quiet person and I don't feel the need to fight over other people to be heard.  I will say something if it is really important or if someone asks me directly, but mostly I just observe and think a lot *I love to observe: people, situations, animals...everything*.  Also, my quietness does not equal shyness.  I can be shy, but really I am just an introvert.  Susan Cain explained it best, I love her presentation "The Power of Introverts".

Let's start:
I grew up in a very funny, amazing family!  I have two brothers who are two of the coolest people in the world.  My brother's wife is also such an amazing addition to our family.  She is fun and creative, I love her like a sister.  My parents are always constant source of support and inspiration.  Many people have not seen this side of me, but I am very capable of being loud and obnoxious! Ask Luke, this guys gets to see it a lot...whether that is good or bad, I do not know. My little brother and I have random dance parties all the time, and I love to serenade our pets with terrible lyrics and a squeaky, cracked voice.
My family also played a lot of pranks while I was growing up; like that time Logan staged a break in through my window, or that time the cat walked into a trap meant for my Dad and the poor thing was covered in packaging tape.  One time, my friend and I offered to make lemonade for a ward party.  *we were so sweet*  Before the party we added methane blue to the drinks, and for those of you who don't know...if you consume methane blue it will turn your pee blue.  We got in a lot of trouble for that.
I spent most of my childhood outside!  I loved to go on outings with my family; we camped, hiked, explored.  We were especially good at getting inside of old, abandoned houses, or finding our way through intricate, off limit hallways to find rooftops with cool views.  Mud was always a source of entertainment for me and my little brother.  I also spent a lot of time 'building' attractions for my brother and his little friends; circuses, amusement parks, classrooms, etc.
I have had the wonderful opportunity to travel, a lot!  Europe, Canada, Mexico, Hawaii, Alaska...and more.  My parents always took the time to take us on mini adventures through busy cities and through various outdoor landscapes, as well as on big adventures to other states and countries.
My whole family is extremely creative in their own ways.  They each have wonderful, individual talents, and I have been lucky enough to be blessed to grow up in such a fun and artistic environment.  My little brother has been so kind as to involve me in quite of few of his productions *Robot for a Friend is quite a gem if you ever get a chance to see it, haha*  I love to sew and do other various crafts.  But, I also love to build things and come up with business ideas.  I am not an expert at one technique in particular, but I love to explore different mediums and techniques.  I could entertain myself for HOURS with a piece of paper and a pen *NOT a pencil, scribble marks and crossed out pictures and words are a sign of a well used brain*.  When I was about 10, my mom gave me a simple black composition book.  That has been one of the greatest gifts, I have now been through about 6 of them.  It is a place where I can express myself, write down ideas, create business plans, play around with different concepts.  I have it with me ALL OF THE TIME!
I have made some great accomplishments; I made the high school varsity soccer team my sophomore year *if I could play soccer all day, everyday...peace out food, and pinterest, and Netflix, I have a game to play.  Can you see that my priorities are obviously in the right place* I lettered in cross country and have the delightfully unflattering Letter's Man jacket to show for it.  I also have had some significant trials, I have made some dumb mistakes, and I have struggles.  But, that all just adds to who I am.  The older I get, the more people tell me how much like my Mom I am.  I LOVE this, she is the greatest example to me on how to make the best out of life!
A few more fun facts: I have had the same best friend since I was about 6 or 7. we have been on so many adventures together; made up and real.  I love her like a sister and I am so grateful for her.  I also LOVE the ocean!  Everything about the ocean.  And sharks, YES!  I think they are the coolest creatures.  My family goes swimming with sharks every summer, and it is one of my favorite things to do.  That is actually what my family and I did the day before Luke and I got married.  My ancestors were French outlaws, turn pirate!  This may account for some of my family's spontaneous, crazy ways.
I could go on forever just writing about myself and my family, not because I am conceded *maybe a little* but because, just like anybody else, I am a pretty cool person.  I believe that everyone has a voice and everyone has something to add, and I want to share who I am with others.  I may not come out and start a conversation, but I do love when people want to talk to me.  I am always up for an adventure, big or small.  Though, I also really do love my personal time, and I need that personal time.  I may not sing and dance in public, I may not be loud, and I may not share my opinions and thoughts very often.  And, that is okay!  I know that I am capable of those things if I want to be.  I have been blessed with so many opportunities and talents, and I know without a doubt that I can step up to any challenge.  I am happy with who I am, I am grateful for who I am and I hope that other people can get to know me better and also be happy for my contributions, quite or loud.



Please don't write me off because I am quite.  Dr. Seuss, Gandhi, Charles Darwin, Steve Wozniak, Rosa Parks are just a few introverts who have done some amazing things!  I do have great ideas, I can be a lot of fun, I am an interesting person, I have had many very unique experiences.  I will mostly likely not draw any attention to myself, but I am important.  I do have things to say, I have opinions, I have endless thoughts and ideas, I have a lot to contribute to any situation and I am pretty amazing.

Comments

  1. Haha I love this, you ARE a cool person! (And you were a cute little person too :D)
    I'm usually an introvert too, but I'm working on being a bit more outspoken.
    Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED this post on yourself Aubrey! You're such an inspiration to me. I really enjoyed getting to know you better through your writing. I literally laughed out loud on some of your thoughts here and was surprised on things I didn't know. I can't wait to see you again...let's go a pirating together!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts